Do You Still Write Thank You Notes?

January 4, 2011 in Thrifty Tips

Last night I finished writing thank you notes for all of my Christmas presents.  It seems writing thank you notes is a dying practice, but I don’t think that a text, Facebook wall post or tweet can convey gratitude the same way a handwritten note can.

I bought a book called the The Art of Thank You: Crafting Notes of Gratitude when I graduated from high school.  Ten years later, the tips about when to send a thank you note and how to craft one still stick with me.  For example, you must send a thank you note when you receive a gift and don’t open it in front of the giver (it’s still nice to send one if you open it in front of them).

The author also says that notes should always be written for any wedding gifts, but I can think of several wedding gifts that I’ve given over the past few years that weren’t acknowledged.  What’s the deal?  A thank you note is typically inexpensive and takes only a few moments to write, but why aren’t people writing them anymore?

Jamie January 4, 2011 at 11:31 am

Due to all the showers and baby gifts, I randomly panic thinking that A) I forgot to send a thank you note to someone or B) it got lost in the mail, or C) I misspelled something.

It’s particularly difficult when someone mails or drops off a gift! (It’s so nice to have someone write down the gift and the person who gave it at showers!)

single&saving January 4, 2011 at 11:40 am

Yes, let’s keep thank you notes alive! I got your thank you notes, LE and Jamie. Each of them made me smile :)

Lauren January 4, 2011 at 11:33 am

Keep thank you notes alive! Thanks for this post!

Katie January 4, 2011 at 11:37 am

I totally agree with your thoughts on thank you notes & I also just finished mine from Christmas a couple of days ago! It’s definitely rude when people get an endless amount of amazing gifts at showers/weddings/etc. and never acknowledge them.. makes me not want to buy them any future gifts! (Is that bad? :)

single&saving January 4, 2011 at 11:43 am

I feel the same way about not wanting to buy future gifts when several have gone without any acknowledgement. I may have thought about skipping a few baby showers for that exact reason :/

kelley January 4, 2011 at 11:56 am

I still write thank you notes, and remember when I used to hate it and think it was dumb, but now I appreciate it when I receive them. Esp where I live and with some of the ppl I know it makes me wanna yell at them for being unappreciative just because they’re so used to getting everything they want. Spend the 5 min to do it, it’s worth it!

single&saving January 4, 2011 at 12:19 pm

The five minutes spent writing one is very worthwhile!