Extreme Couponing!

January 20, 2011 in Couponing

Photo from Extreme Couponing

It seems like tons of people are talking about Extreme Couponing on TLC.  It started off as a one hour special and it’s going to be a 12 episode series.  I watched the special with my dad when I was home for Christmas break.  Watching Extreme Couponing was entertaining and informative (but also kind of disturbing).  My dad enjoyed it because he learned that some stores double coupons everyday.  I pointed out that I had written about that on my blog, and he admitted that he’s never looked at the blog.  Thanks, Dad (who will never read this).

Since it  re-aired a few times and word has spread about casting for the series, four of my friends have told me that I could be on the show.  While I appreciate that they thought of me, it scared me that they thought of me as an extreme couponer like the people portrayed on the special.  Even as someone who uses coupons on a weekly basis, the people on Extreme Couponing seemed a little Hoarders-style crazy.

My philosophy is that couponing is great in moderation.  I love to use coupons and I love saving money because of them, but I will NEVER jump in a dumpster to get extra coupons.  I also don’t believe in having basement full of toiletries and food, when those items can be donated to charity.  If you ever see me post about buying 100 boxes of cereal for a dollar, it’s time to stage a couponing intervention.

Did you see Extreme Couponing?  What did you think?

Lauren R January 20, 2011 at 10:48 pm

No – I didn’t see it. But – what if the reality show took extreme couponers and made them live in a house with the extremely wealthy. Then the challenges would be to see how cheap you could get something or how nice of something you could purchase. When the couponers won the rich would have to pay couponers the 110% of the difference between the two products! What do you think? Should I try to pitch it to TLC or Fox?

single&saving January 21, 2011 at 10:25 am

I’d go with TLC or Lifetime. Remember when Lifetime showed “Shop ‘Til You Drop?!”

lizardpak February 21, 2011 at 9:13 pm

I have only watched one episode, but it has drastically changed how I shop. At a minimum, I now save 50%.

I think the biggest thing I’ve come to realize is that I work damn hard at finding good deals on clothes and electonics, but don’t apply the same discipline to the groceries.

Now when I walk around my house and see $5 bottles of shampoo I paid for, it pisses me off.

single&saving February 22, 2011 at 11:26 am

That’s great that it encouraged you to start saving on groceries! Life is so much better when it includes free shampoo and toothpaste.

Kim March 30, 2011 at 9:57 pm

I’ll admit I haven’t seen the show. But when I read extreme couponer’s blogs, they always seem to buy tons of packaged crap. And they have closets & garages to put all that stuff. I rarely see a coupon for perishables. There are ways to get cheaper perishables, though – shop in season, and at an ethnic store!

Misty May 10, 2011 at 8:08 pm

I saw Extreme Couponers and I was impressed with how much they save! BUT I do not like those parents who jammed hella toilet paper in their children’s rooms!! That is Hoarder style and takes away from their kid’s personal space.

I grew up with a pack rat and it is not fun. I live minimally and coupon for what I need.

Good post!

single&saving May 31, 2011 at 5:55 pm

I watched some of the “Extreme Couponing” marathon over the weekend and thought of the same thing about hoarding stuff in their kid’s rooms! I guess minimalist couponers don’t make for good tv?