Mega Millions Morning After Regrets

March 31, 2012 in Frugal Fun,Saving

Despite my lack of splurging this month, I was taken in by the Mega Millions $640 million jackpot hysteria and bought a ticket.  This was basically like flushing a dollar bill down the toilet, but it’s a little fun to think that you have the chance to win an astronomical amount of money.  I supported education in Georgia a bit too.

I can shrug off the wasted dollar spent at the convenience store in my office building, but what about those people who drove long distances, waited in long lines and spent hundreds of dollars in the hopes of hitting the jackpot?  Do you think they have a Mega Millions hangover? Worse yet are those who continually sink money into the lottery week after week thinking that scratch off tickets and lucky numbers can be a path to prosperity.  I hate to be judgmental, but it’s sad to think about how $5 spent weekly on a non-winning lottery tickets could turn into thousands of dollars if it was saved over the course of several years.

I think I’ll stick to free sweepstakes, but do you think the lottery is worth entering?

Tiffany March 31, 2012 at 8:22 pm

Hehe, “loser”. :) I can’t imagine what those folks are feeling right now… But yes, at least you supported education. 😉

Single & Saving April 5, 2012 at 10:50 pm

Haha. I helped pay for a very little bit of someone’s college education :)

mandi March 31, 2012 at 11:23 pm

I bought 3 tickets… it was peer pressure! lol… I’m not one of those that play lottery or scratch off tickets often. it would’ve been nice to win though.

Single & Saving April 5, 2012 at 10:52 pm

It was so hard to resist buying one (or three), wasn’t it?

Melissa Say What? April 1, 2012 at 9:20 pm

I won back $3 of the $5 I played. I kinda felt obligated with it being the largest jackpot EVER. Now that I think about it, I can spend a little time each day while multi-tasking, entering daily sweeps and a few major ones here and there and come out far above the odds and cost of pretending I might win the lottery some day.

If anything, play right after the BIG jackpot. Less folks play for the “small” 12 million dollar wins, but now I just don’t see the point in doing it at all.

Single & Saving April 5, 2012 at 10:54 pm

I think you might be one of the luckiest people I know, Melissa. $3 is still winning :) I agree with you that entering sweepstakes probably makes for better odds than trying to enter the lottery. Sure they have smaller prizes, but the odds seem like they would be better.

classycareergirl April 2, 2012 at 6:03 am

I think all people dream of winning that mega million jackpot. Having that big amount of money has been a motivation for some to try their luck. This type of game has a less probability of winning but it would increase everyone’s hope. There’s nothing wrong if someone would give a try, just learn to accept whatever the result is.

Single & Saving April 5, 2012 at 10:59 pm

It’s nice to enjoy that moment between buying the ticket and the drawing to dream about what you could do with millions of dollars. I think it’s okay to blow a little cash in the hope of hitting it big with the Mega Millions or Powerball, but I think learning to grow your own money through saving and investing has a lot of joy in it too (in a way less exciting, instant gratification kind of way).