My 30 Before 30 List: April 2012 Update and Your Dating Advice Wanted!

May 3, 2012 in 30 Before 30,Dating

April was a pretty slow month for accomplishing things on my 30 Before 30 list.  It was a busy month filled with bridesmaid duties and that got me thinking about #10 on my list: Go on a Date.  I don’t know why it’s seems to be difficult for me to find a decent date, but it’s been awhile since I’ve been on one.  I’d love your advice about how you’ve found dates, if you’re single, or how you met your spouse, if you’re married.  Whether you’ve found success with meeting someone on an online dating site or getting set up by a friend, give me your tips in the comments!

Here’s an update about the progress of the other things on my list:

1. Make a Large Donation to a Nonprofit Organization
  2. Speak at an Event about Saving Money  {I Spoke at Chocolate Chat in January 2012.}
  3. Pay Off My Student Loan {Slowly but surely.}
  4. Take a Risk
  5. Mentor Someone
  6. Find a Mentor
  7. Blog Twice a Week
  8. Go to a Blogging Conference
  9. Take a Class
  10. Go on a Date
  11. Help to Grow My Sorority’s Young Alumnae Group {Ongoing. If you know any Alpha Gamma Delta sisters in the Atlanta area, send them my way.}
  12. Run a 5K (Instead of My Usual Running/Walking Method)
  13. Fit Into the Overly Priced Jeans I Bought a Few Years Ago {I lost two pounds in April.}
  14. Write a Will
  15. Make a New Cooking for One Recipe Each Month {I’m loving Spaghetti Carbonara.}
  16. Perform a Random Act of Kindness Every Month {I’m addicted to popsicles from the King of Pops, so I bought some pops for friends who haven’t tried them before.}
  17. Visit a Friend Who Has Moved to a Different City {I’m visiting Lauren in Boston this month!}
  18. Visit a Foreign Country {I visited Vancouver in March 2012.}
  19. Go on a Mission Trip
  20. Visit Three States That I Haven’t Been To Before {I’m going to Massachusetts for the first time this month.}
  21. Visit Dollywood
  22. Go to the Epcot Food and Wine Festival {I started saving up for my trip with ImpulseSave!}
  23. Go to High Tea {I won a gift certificate for Afternoon Tea at the Four Seasons Atlanta! I’m excited about going with my mom soon}
  24. Get a Proper Bra Fitting
  25. Throw a Party
  26. Join a Singles Group (and Actually Go to It)
  27. Have a Spa Day
  28. Mail a Card to Someone Every Month {I sent a birthday card to a friend I haven’t seen for awhile}
  29. Bake Something Every Month {I made cupcakes for a friend’s birthday}
  30. Decorate My Loft

Manisha May 3, 2012 at 9:26 pm

that’s so exciting you want to go to the epcot food&wine festival! I’m actually doing the disney wine&dine half marathon that weekend! So excited! As for the dating, I’m single and briefly ventured into the online dating world & met someone but it just didn’t end up well. AND it was really hard because we were about an hour away from each other. But perhaps being in Atlanta you might not have that issue! I figured, why not try it- I had been single for a long time and one of my chapter sisters met her husband through match.com!

Single & Saving May 3, 2012 at 9:38 pm

That’s so cool that you’re doing the Wine & Dine Half Marathon! It seems like Disney would be a great place to run one because of everything to look at and all of the characters. I’m curious about online dating, and I think you’re right that it may be easier in a big city like Atlanta. I’m not sure if I want to spend the money on a subscription, but I’m also a little afraid of the guys who might sign up for the free sites.

Manisha May 3, 2012 at 10:00 pm

Oh yeah Disney is definitely an amazing place for races! I did the Disney Princess Half last year and it was amazing! Definitely not a race to try and make a PR but so fun with all the characters and picture ops when there’s no one in the parks other than runners!!
I was curious too about the whole online thing &weary of the creepy guys too but I just made a separate email address w/o any personal information and just used that so there wasnt a way to track my location.. I signed up when they did those free weekends/free 5 days or whatever their current gimmick is hah! And plus, I think match has a deal that if you sign up for 6mos and don’t meet anyone you get 6 mos free? One of my friends from college did that last fall.

Single & Saving May 3, 2012 at 11:16 pm

Good luck training for the Wine & Dine! Thanks for the tip about making a separate email address and trying to find a deal. I’ll have to see what coupon codes are online and lookout for those “free communication weekend” commercials.

Melissa Say What? May 3, 2012 at 9:59 pm

Blog twice a week: a seemingly easy feat, but I’m sure life gets in the way. Still, I’d love to read more posts from you about your life!

Single & Saving May 3, 2012 at 11:13 pm

It really should be easy, but I get so tired of being at the computer all day at work that I slack on my blogging. Thanks for reading! Hopefully May will be a month filled with blog posts.

Katie May 3, 2012 at 10:27 pm

You should totally give online dating a shot. From a girl’s perspective, it’s the greatest deal ;) If you do a 1 or 3 month subscription it won’t be too pricey (google for coupon codes, they really do exist haha) & go on a couple of dates to meet people – as bad as it sounds, you’ll at least break even on the price of the dinner ;) Plus it will either rule out online dating as a channel you’re interested in, or you’ll meet someone… either way, it will end the curiosity :) (just tell me when/where you’re going to meet someone so I can call the police if you don’t reappear within a couple of hours!! :)

Katie May 3, 2012 at 10:28 pm

whoa okay that was a lot of emoticons going on up there. didn’t realize they would be so big and yellow!

Single & Saving May 3, 2012 at 11:21 pm

:)!

Single & Saving May 3, 2012 at 11:21 pm

Good advice, Katie. If I can find a good deal, I would be up for getting a short subscription. I don’t think I can commit to more than 3 months because I’m not really dying to get married in the near future; it’d just be nice to go on a date to prove to myself that I’m not socially awkward. Should I meet any strangers on the internet, I’ll be sure to inform you so you can call the cops in case of abduction.

Heather May 7, 2012 at 1:31 pm

I just started reading your blog and I love it so far….Being Single and Thrifty is hard.

As for online dating, it’s totally worth the expense! My mom met her hubby online…and I met my bf of 3 years online. Both were EHarmony.

Some people are skeptics but the key is to be true to yourself and your wants and needs and it can totally work! But patience is necessary…you aren’t necessairily going to click with the first person you are matched with.

Always willing to provide more info—-but I didn’t want to bog down your comments. :)

Single & Saving May 7, 2012 at 5:22 pm

Thanks for reading, Heather! It’s good to hear that eHarmony really works. I like that you said that you mentioned that patience is necessary. That’s an area that I may be am lacking in sometimes, so that’s really good to keep in mind.