Living Alone and Loving It

May 10, 2012 in Dating,Saving,Singleness

There was a story in the AJC last week that said that Atlantans are more likely to live alone than people in any other major city in the U.S.  About 44 percent of households in Atlanta have only one person and over 42,000 of those single dwellers are women.

I remember reading Virginia Woolf’s A Room of One’s Own in college.  She wrote that “… a woman must have money and a room of her own if she is to write fiction.”  These words resonated with me as a broke student with four roommates, and I couldn’t wait to get my own place as soon as I could afford it.

Financially speaking, it makes a lot of sense to get a roommate.  Rent is my biggest expense each month and I could save about $300 to $400 a month if I lived with someone else.  Saving an extra $4,500 a year sounds great, but I don’t think that I’ll be able to give up living alone anytime soon.  Maybe it’s the only child in me, but I really enjoy having my own space and spending time by myself.  There’s something about coming home to a quiet place and not dealing with someone else’s quirks (or dishes in the sink) that I really enjoy.  A recent survey also found that 62 percent of singles prefer to date someone who lives alone.

I’ve come to realize that my plan for saving will probably never include getting a roommate (unless I get married…I don’t think I can get away with not living with my husband).  What do you prefer: living alone or with roommates?

Photo: sxc.hu

bogofdebt May 10, 2012 at 12:49 pm

I prefer by myself if I’m single. I’ve done the roomate thing and have had both good and bad luck. And enough of it was bad that I’m happy with just living my boyfriend now.

Single & Saving May 10, 2012 at 3:26 pm

I’m with you on the having enough bad roommate luck to be happy with other living arrangements.

Lauren May 10, 2012 at 2:42 pm

I feel like I have to say I like living with a roommate since I’m married now, but I really did enjoy living by myself and do miss it sometimes. (Don’t tell Darren.)

Single & Saving May 10, 2012 at 3:32 pm

Don’t worry, Lauren. Your secret is safe with me. :)

Amy W May 11, 2012 at 6:01 am

Since college I’ve lived with my parents, alone, with roommates and with other family members. Living alone is my favorite. I love being able to come home to a space that is all mine. I also like the freedom to have guests over whenever I want. I’ve moved a lot in the last 8 years and I’ve been in my current home for almost 2 years and am finally starting to feel settled. And I think living alone plays a big part in that.

Kristen July 12, 2012 at 7:04 pm

I loved living alone and I didn’t care that I had to live in a slightly “dumpy” apartment because of it…

Single & Saving July 19, 2012 at 8:24 pm

I love my little studio apartment. There are moments when I wish I had more space, but I’ll gladly take a tiny apartment over living somewhere nicer with a roommate.